Here is a collection of blog posts that I've written so far! In each section, the blog posts are listed most recent first, least recent last. Happy reading!
Internships and Switching into Tech Blog Posts
Throughout the process of becoming a developer, I've been writing various blogs about how I've found it and what my internships have been like.
- Success stories: women in tech awards - posted on the Oxford Computer Consultants Blog. Discussing the awards I was nominated for and won in 2017, and the value in these types of awards.
- One Year on From My HTML/CSS Course - posted on the Code First: Girls blog. Reflecting on the past year since taking part in a Code First: Girls HTML/CSS coding course at Level39 in Canary Wharf. Also includes lots of tips for those interested in becoming developers coming from a non-computer-science degree background!
- Introducing Our Front End Intern - posted on the Oxford Computer Consultants Blog. Introducing myself as a Front End Intern at OCC, what I'm doing there so far and what it's been like!
- Web Dev Bev Out - posted on the Daily Zooniverse. A round-up of what I did during my internship with the Zooniverse!
- A Month in at the Zoo - posted on the Daily Zooniverse. A blog talking about the challenges I've found with programming, one month into my Zooniverse Web Developer Internship.
- Meet Beverley - posted on the Daily Zooniverse. A blog about what my first two weeks of my Zooniverse internship have been like.
- Why I didn't Pursue a STEM subject and How I got Back into Coding - posted on Gender and the City. In this post, I discuss why I gave up on coding as a teenager, and how I got back into it after an English and German degree.
A mixture of tutorials about code and explorations of tech I've worked with and projects I've built.
- Stepping Away from the GitHub Desktop Client: Intro to the Terminal - posted on Medium. A tutorial on using the terminal for the first time after having only used the Git Desktop Client
- Building Geese Games - posted on WebDevBev.co.uk. A blog discussing tech choices and learnings from "Geese Games", the open source goose quiz app that I built in React.
- 2018 Oxford Indie Web Camp - posted on WebDevBev.co.uk. A blog discussing the 2018 Oxford Indie Web camp and the process of indiewebifying this site.
Blogs About Volunteering
I've volunteered extensively over the years, and over that time have written blog posts along the way.
- Why I Volunteer with Three Rings - Beverley's Story -posted on Three Rings CIC's blog. A blog post about the voluntary work I do with Three Rings, and why I love it so much!
- Interview with Ruth From Three Rings - posted on Code First: Girls' Blog.I interviewed Ruth, Managing Director at Three Rings, to hear a bit more about her and to get some coding advice for aspiring programmers
- Hosting the September codebar Oxford Workshop - posted on the Oxford Computer Consultants blog. A write-up of the first event hosted by Oxford Computer Consultants, nearly a year on from our first workshop.
- Introducing the codebar Oxford Team! - posted on codelog.Aef introduction to all three of the codebar Oxford organisers - Bonnie, Marten and Beverley.
- Codebar With the Zooniverse - posted on the Daily Zooniverse. A write-up of the first ever codebar in Oxford, hosted by the wonderful Zooniverse!